Tuesday, October 6, 2009

This time of year . . .




It was one of those perfect English autumnal days which occur more frequently in memory than in life.
P. D. James

Bittersweet October. The mellow, messy, leaf-kicking, perfect pause between the opposing miseries of summer and winter.
Carol Bishop Hipps






October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came -
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.
George Cooper







The falling leaves drift by the window
The autumn leaves of red and gold
I see your lips, the summer kisses
The sun-burned hands I used to hold
Since you went away the days grow long
And soon I'll hear old winter's song
But I miss you most of all my darling
When autumn leaves start to fall.
Johnny Mercer
Much-recorded song Autumn Leaves. Originally a French song Les Feuilles Mortes with lyrics by poet Jacques Prevért.

No comments: