So these were a new discovery for us this Christmas. Every Christmas Eve 24th we have a gathering of family and friends late afternoon before church full of appetizers, light foods , warm candle light and lots of love. These are very simple to make and can be done way ahead frozen then reheated and serve. My boys particularly thought they were the bomb as they like to say but then again any thing is better with bacon.
So you need Club Crackers or something similar- they are a light butter cracker.
Grated Parmesan Cheese 3/4 cup
Bacon - any type will work, about 1 pound makes one sleeve of crackers
Brown Sugar 3/4 cup
Baking sheet, (Parchment, foil or silipat mat will make cleanup easier), Cooking rack
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F
2. Set up your baking sheet with cooling rack and surface to collect grease.
3. get all your crackers out
4. Cut your Bacon in 1/2 so the strips are short
5. Having grated cheese in shallow dish with a small teaspoon is handy
6. Same for Brown sugar
7. Grab a cracker and put either brown sugar or cheese on it, then wrap if with the slice of bacon and place it on your cooling rack.
8. Repeat until all are done.
9. Put in the 250 degree oven for 2 hours.
10. I then froze them in double plastic bags to use whenever I want or need to.
Yes that is a long time but with the bacon cooking slowly all the ingredients in the middle does not cook out. the bacon shrinks around the cracker. It works out really well.
*** Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond has this in her cook book Pioneer Woman cooks for the Holidays.