Thursday, June 17, 2010

Goin' Fishin, Mom!


It is that time of year, school is almost out and not to soon! We can hardly wait. Sleeping in, lazy days of reading, day trips to explore State parks, Drawing/Painting/Printmaking so many wonderful things to do and time to do them. I can hardly wait for the cry- "mom, were goin' fishing see ya later" and off they go to the nearby creek for an afternoon of honest to goodness outside all American boyhood fishing.
Now they would prefer that I take them into town to Honeoye Creek where the fishing and the fish are bigger. But there is something to be said for being able to get where you want to go under your own power. We tend to forget that these days in America. The rest of the world still holds great importance to personal transportation, walking, Bicycles are common both in Europe and Asia. Somehow here in America we lost that along the way. I realize we have more land and are more spread out, but we also changed what we hold as important.

2 comments:

Pam Johnson Brickell said...

So true!

Did you know about the two Sandhill Cranes at the Honeyoye Creek WMA? 2 days in a row now. On the south side of Richmond Mills Rd in the field opposite the parking lot. (Genessee birds List)

We'll be up in early July. I was hoping to get word out for a journaling field trip but not sure if we'll have time. Lots of elder issues to deal with. I'll keep you posted.

Quiltin' Mama said...

I did not know about the Sand Cranes - how cool is that!! I will have to check the Bird list. Traveling to be with family I know does not allow for what one wants to do necessarily.
Off to the Cape soon to stay with extended family. . . . I'll be checking that bird list more often!