Friday, January 10, 2014

Food for thought Friday - Almond Bars

                   I am going to try and share some food item or other thoughts from the kitchen on Fridays. I am not going to have stylized food photos. I will share recipes sometimes. I like to cook , bake and I like to share the bounty from the kitchen in many ways with others. I have come to recognize that time around the table with family friends and strangers is important, but it does not need to be all homemade- it is the time that is important. Since I have had multiple requests for this recipe, simple as it is, I decided to just share it here.
  Almond Bars

Beat eggs and sugar until Lemon color

Add 2 1/2 -3 tsp. Pure Almond Extract

Into the oven - add sliced almonds and any decorating sugars that you want.

Out of the oven -don't overcook

Ready for Tea




Almond Bars:     325 degrees for 30-35 minutes
Just 5 ingredients makes these yummy special bars.

4 eggs
2cups sugar
1 cup melted butter
2 cups flour
2 1/2 -3 cups pure almond extract

Beat eggs and sugar together until a nice Lemon color
Beat in Melted butter and almond extract
Gradually mix in flour, mix well, it will become thickened at this point.
Grease ( spray Pam) a 9x13 pan and spread batter in the pan.
Add toppings as desired, sliced Almonds, sugars, Decor elements

Bake 325 degrees for 30-35 min - you want them on the moister side for more flavor I think .  I also think that they are almost better the next day- there is more flavor.  They seem to keep very  very well.

This is excerpt from where I found this recipe
"This is one of my favorite recipes for last-minute school bake sales," writes Sandy Kerrison from her home in Lockport, New York. "

1 comment:

Quiltin' Mama said...

I have made these several times and one of the middle times they were extra moist and the bar was as if it was Almond Paste. I am yet unclear exactly why but as I continue to make them and experiment I will update. For me the Eggs and freshness and the amount of humidity or not in the air makes a big difference in my baking. ~ Chestnut Hill